DIY

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Applying Fabric to Furniture.


Loved this old antique side table I found at a thrift shop the other day! Had to share with everyone :) The process was so easy, I hope it inspires you to jazz up something you might have at home!

-Use a light coat of primer over the entire piece of furniture. I prefer to use Zinsser brand, it seems to dry fast, smooth & is extremely durable! Never any chips.


-After you wait about an hour for the primer to dry, then I paint a thin coat of whatever color you choose. I wanted a "shabby chic" look, so I used a simple white color called "Charming Smile" in a satin finish. I don't usually use any gloss of any sort because the polycrylic you will be adding later, already gives the piece a bit of a shine :)

-Now its time to give the furniture that "shabby" look! I use sandpaper and a little elbow grease to perfect the look myself. Anywhere you want a little brown to show through, just sand away! I recommend edges & corners, it always gives it a nice "worn" look. Since you have paint AND primer on there, I recommend using about 100 grit sandpaper. It usually does the trick!


-Allow the piece of furniture to dry completely (about 2-3 hours usually). Then it was time to apply the design (fabric) on top of the table. Cut a piece of fabric exactly the size of the table top. Using a spray adhesive, apply a thin to medium layer over the entire top of the table. Wait about 10-15 seconds to allow adhesive to become a bit sticky. Then carefully start to apply the fabric, starting at one end and slowly smoothing it out to rid itself of air bubbles. 


-Once you have the fabric in place and you've smoothed out all the air bubbles, it is now time to apply the poly-acrylic to the table. I use Minwax polycrylic in clear satin. A quart is about $19.99 and lasts a long time! You only need a very thin layer! After applying the polycrylic all over (even over the fabric on top), wait about an hour for it to dry. Then apply ANOTHER thin layer of polycrylic, just to be safe :)
-Once the polycrylic has dried, it is now time to give the fabric a little stylish "edge." I am OBSESSED with furniture tacks! If you have ever looked at my Etsy store (www.etsy.com/shop/rorodecor) you will see that almost every other piece of furniture has furniture tacks on it! It is such a fun way to give anything some simply style! Plus they are extremely functional :) Fortunately the fabric I chose was a grid of some sort, so placing the tacks was easy because I just went with the grid. If your fabric does not have a distinct pattern, I would recommend using a ruler to give the correct amount of spacing and placement for your tacks. The rest is simple, just use a hammer, and hammer away! Similar to nails :)



-Now you are done! Hope you enjoyed this little tutorial :) Please feel free to share photos on my Facebook wall of your projects, I would love to see the finished projects! 



www.facebook.com/rorodecor
www.twitter.com/rorodecor
www.etsy.com/shop/rorodecor



No comments:

Post a Comment